Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Best of the best: VERY low fat recipes. . . that are actually worth trying!

So, I might not have a lot to say about my exercising habits right now. . . or for a couple of months. But I do know a heck of a lot more about eliminating fat (and now sugar. . . for the hypoglycemia) from my diet than I would bet most people do! Now I know that our bodies need healthy, unsaturated vegetable fats, in moderation. I figure those are easy to throw back in-- some nuts, an avocado, a little olive oil here and there. . . so I thought I'd contribute a few recipes of the better things I've eaten the last few months (I'll spare you the less-desirable meals I've choked down! ;)). These really can be prepared totally or very nearly fat free, but it's easy to add back in a little if you want. :)

Chicken and vegetable chowder (almost completely fat-free, yet still thick and flavorful!)

Now this one I made up last night out of some leftovers and fresh veggies. I have to say, I had low expectations, but Jerry, Sarah and I all loved it! I'm sorry it's not as clean-cut as a "real" recipe.

3 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 T. flour
1 chicken breast, cubed
1 large baked potato, cubed
1 small can creamed corn
skim milk (just enough to make desired amount of broth)
2 t. bouillon
black pepper, thyme, and parsley, to taste

Saute the veggies in a nonstick pan with a little cooking spray. If they start to stick, just add a little water. Cook until onions are transparent and veggies are crisp tender. Stir in flour. Add the rest of the ingredients and heat through. (I used "better than bouillon"--thanks, Mom. :) If you use hard cubes, just make sure they're all the way dissolved.)

*I had baked chicken and a baked potato in the fridge, but of course if you don't happen to, you could chop them small (raw) and cook them in the beginning as well.

Fat-free banana mini muffins

Jerry loves the texture of these-- they're still moist, even though I cut the butter (and reduced the sugar. . . shh).

1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. egg whites (I used egg beaters or whatever brand of pasteurized egg whites.)
2-3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 c. fat-free sour cream
2-1/4 c. flour
1 t. cinnamon
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

Cream sugar and egg whites. Mix in bananas and sour cream. Stir in flour, cinnamon, soda and salt. Fill muffin tins (I used mini muffins-- yield about 36, but I'm sure regular-sized muffin tins or a loaf pan would work as well. I prefer the "snack sized" version, as does Sarah.) Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or so. Also, if I weren't off the fat, I'd add 1/2 c. walnuts. . . maybe even a few dark chocolate chips. . . oops! I mean. . .

Kalamata Lemon Chicken

This is one of those recipes Aubs and I found forever ago and fell in love with. The original calls for browning the chicken in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes before putting it in the oven, but I learned you can just brown it a little in a nonstick pan or just throw it in the oven-- it comes out delicious any way you decide to go!

about 1 lb chicken breasts, halved
2/3 c. dried orzo
1/2 c. drained, pitted kalamata olives (if you'll use them often enough, these are definitely worth buying at Costco.)
1 14-oz can chicken broth + more broth for serving (maybe 2 more cans)
1/2 lemon, cut in wedges
1 T. lemon juice
1 t. Greek seasoning
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
fresh oregano leaves (optional, but tastes great and looks gorgeous if you're serving to company!)

Stir together chicken (browned or not), olives, broth, lemon wedges, lemon juice, Greek seasoning, salt, and pepper. Bake in a covered 2-qt. baking dish at 400 for about 35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Serve in shallow bowls, with additional hot broth and topped with oregano.

Cuban black bean soup

Tastes WAY better than it looks! This one's from Cooking Light. It's awesome because you use dried beans but you don't even have to soak them first!

2 bay leaves
1 pound black beans
12 1/2 c. water, divided
1 T. canola oil (I omitted, of course, without any adverse effects!)
3 1/2 c. chopped green bell pepper (about 3 medium)
2 1/2 c. coarsely chopped onion
1/3 c. chopped shallots (no tragedy if you don't have them, though)
3 cloves garlic, chopped (not in the original)
1 T. ground cumin
2 T. dried oregano
2 T. chopped fresh oregano
2 t. sugar
2 t. salt (calls for kosher, I used regular)

Toppings:
2 c. diced avocado + 2 T. lime juice(this is my favorite topping-- not fat free, but very healthful!)
2 c. thinly sliced red onion
1 c. shopped fresh cilantro
1 c. light (or non-fat) sour cream
1.3 c. finely chopped seeded jalapeno (about 2)
lime wedges
1 1/2 c. cooked ham (I've never used, but heard it's good)

Place bay leaves and beans in Dutch oven or large pot. Add 12 c. water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 2 1/2 hrs. or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. (You may need to add more water.) Saute pepper, onion, shallot, and garlic in oil (opt.) until onions are tender. Stir in cumin and oregano. Cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes. Puree with 1/2 c. water in blender. Add veggie mix, sugar, and salt to beans, simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves. Serve and top with desired toppings.

Enjoy! And please leave a comment if you try one of these out. . . or if you have some better recipes! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment